Monday, September 2, 2013

Student-created goals for art


   

**update 09/14 - get my newest goals and rubrics on Teachers Pay Teachers: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Mrs-Knights-Smartest-Artists

I have been hearing about other teachers making SMART goals over the last couple of years and I have been looking the other way, waiting to be told how that would work in my art room. This year, it's happening! I was very relieved to know that my expectation for this first time implementing these goals is to only use them with one selected group of students, and I decided to try it this year with third grade. I am all about goal setting, but tracking data just seemed so time consuming for a once a week, 45 minute class. I think I may have figured out something that I am excited about and won't be too overbearing.           
What I like about this plan is that it is coming straight from the mouths of the kids, it won't be very time consuming, and it should give the kids a sense of accomplishment in my class, especially for those who just aren't naturally interested in art. I totally understand those kids, because I have zero interest in sports, and we talk about that comparison when I have a student who doesn't want to participate or doesn't seem to be enjoying themselves. I tell them the good things I can get from participating in sports - camaraderie, good health - and they share some good things they can attain from a knowledge of art.
Anyway, last week each of my 3rd grade classes spent the first 3-4 minutes of class brainstorming ideas in small groups, then each group shared their best idea, which became our list of goals. We had to clarify the difference between rules/procedures, which happen every day, and long-term goals, which we work toward. I asked them to think about art lessons in the past that they would like to expand, or techniques they'd like to develop, or historical elements they'd like to explore. The whole process took about 10 minutes, as I typed the list on a document on my projector as they shared, and we all raised our hands in agreement as we finished the list. We set our target date and listed some things we could do to stay focused on our goals.


This is the list for Ms. Clark's class as the students created  it (unedited)

Once the lists were created in each class, I put them into a chart format and each student will add this list to their portfolios. They will now choose the THREE goals they want to individually track, and at the end of the year they will qualify as a beginning artist, a developing artist, or an accomplished artist.


This is the chart from Ms. Hackett's class that we will add to our portolios for tracking.



Looking forward to seeing how this is going to work this year! I would love some feedback from those of you who have experience with this. I foresee some adjustments as we go, but I like how we have begun. The kids were very enthusiastic about it, too.

4 comments:

  1. I really like this! Interesting way to approach it...do you have to do SLO's yet for APPR?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I meant to mention that in the post - no, our state has not yet created SLO's for art, and according to our county meeting at pre-planning, it will be a while because they have to create committees for writing them - definitely not this year. That discussion was a little overwhelming for me and I am not going to think about it until it has to happen :)

      Delete
  2. What a smart way to involve the students. I especially like the comparison of art to sports -- that is something the kids can really connect with. The bar rubric is really cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great. Is there a way to set a point to show growth like a baseline. So kids can see how they've grown throughout the semester. What percentage of kids would need to be accomplished in order to be effective.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very appreciated - thanks for stopping by!