Thursday, September 20, 2012

Collage and Illustration, 1st grade



1st graders learned about the art of some of our favorite book illustrators, and combined cutting, painting and gluing skills to make an octopus/giant squid/jellyfish creature. I have done an Eric Carle inspired collage in first grade for many years, and this year I combined it with my new book purchase, I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean by Kevin Sherry. I found this super cute octopus collage example at "flipflops and applesauce" blog.

Eric Carle's collage technique combined with a funny story by Kevin Sherry - two great illustrators!

We began with cool color wavy lines for our ocean backgrounds.

We selected a patterned paper for the head and made a semicircle, a geometric shape.

We made arms from paper scraps, cutting wiggly, organic shapes.


Hole punchers provided the texture of the tentacles, and we used the holes for the bubbles.




5 comments:

  1. Love the hole punched texture and bubbles! It makes these quite unique :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to pin projects that use up lots of scrap papers so I LOVE these!!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great one Hope! I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to use this with my students... thanks. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable and I agree, the hole-punched tentacles is such a great idea! And double bonus for using up scrap paper which seems to accumulate and accumulate in the Art room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! We are having a water theme this autumn and I will have to try these cuties. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very appreciated - thanks for stopping by!