Friday, September 16, 2011

Underwater self-portraits

I am so excited to have completed this lesson for the first time. Last spring, I found several examples online and have been hoping that mine would come out well for my 3rd graders this school year.  Thank you to Manuales and Use Your Colored Pencils for the inspiration.We spent some time early in the lesson visualizing ourselves underwater and what happens to our bodies as we swim and float.  We looked at photos of swimmers and divers to help us with the details.  We used crayon for most of the color, then washed over the picture with cool color watercolors.  We also made a frame with stamped bubbles.  I just love these and they were so much fun to make!




 
 





 

 



7 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! I love the red headed girl swimming with fish and the girl swimming with the dolphin. So cute! I'm definitely "pinning" this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Thanks for the link back, Hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these are great - love the setting and action too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the inspiration! http://minimatisse.blogspot.com/2014/04/figure-drawing-under-water.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I love your blog, and I too was inspired by Use your Coloured Pencils and your blog and used this idea with my grade 3 children this year. Here is a link to my blog where I mention and link to your blog.
    http://thebackartroom.global2.vic.edu.au/2015/07/07/grade-3-david-hockney-style-swimming-paintings/
    Thanks again for the inspiration,
    Shell

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very appreciated - thanks for stopping by!